- How did you become involved at ONT?
- Through my church that sponsored meals.
- What caused you to decide to volunteer at ONT?
- I grew up during the depression in a family of 9 children and we didn’t always know where our next meal was coming from. It is so rewarding to be able to help families in need.
- How long have you been volunteering?
- I have been involved and have volunteered for over 15 years.
- What areas and in what capacity do you volunteer for ONT?
- I serve desserts (including ice cream and puddings) at the Wednesday Meal. My coworker and I arrive early, cut up and prepare all the desserts so they are ready when our guests arrive.
- Why do you volunteer? What keeps you coming back?
- I enjoy working with other volunteers helping families receive much needed food provided by ONT. I am so happy I can give back to the many people to they don’t have to worry about where their next meal is coming from.
- What changes have you seen since you began volunteering at ONT?
- The greatest change is in the increase in the number of people that we see each week. Also, the much needed support and donations we receive from very generous people.
- Please share a memorable moment:
- After 15 years volunteering, I don’t have just one memorable moment, but many. My favorite are seeing the eyes of children (adults too) lite up when they come up to the dessert table and we tell them they can have their choice of any desserts on the table. I do remember one day when a grandmother reminded her grandson how lucky they were to be served a wonderful meal. Also, just recently a man who was no longer able to come to Wednesday Meals asked his friend to thank the ladies at the dessert table for donuts we served for him for his breakfast the next day. That meant so much to him. I am happy to know we made his last days happy, as he recently passed away.
An interview with Betty...